Woodworkers Showcase Call:
Established and emerging woodworking artists are invited to enter their original creations in wood – made by carving, turning, or any other woodworking technique. The curators seek to display a wide variety of articles and styles representing the best in woodworking craftsmanship and design. Entries will be judged with modest cash prizes awarded.
The beauty of these wood objects will be enhanced by a concurrent Abstractions Exhibit in the Main Gallery, comprising 2-D art which also emphasizes beauty in shape, line, and space.
Please note: Separate registration forms for woodworking and abstract.
The definition of abstract art refers to a visual language of color, shape, line, and form from which compositions exist with a degree of independence from visual reference. Moving from its origins in the 20th century, into the 21st century, the genre has expanded to respond to the stimuli of the times, which may include new materials or new perspectives on the tried and true.
As this show will once again be paired with the annual Woodworker’s Show; a synergistic and exciting pairing, we are encouraging artists to submit works that will be hung on the walls rather than three-dimensional or sculptural pieces.
Abstract exhibit artists are encouraged to submit on line, but it is not required.
ONLINE SUBMISSION IS NOW CLOSED
Exhibition Dates: July 7 – July 29, 2017
Opening Reception: Friday, July 7, 5-8 pm
Submission Deadline: Woodworking: June 18
Abstract: online submissions: July 1
Woodworking Artist Acceptance Notification: June 20, 2017
Drop-off: July 2, 2-4 pm and July 3, 10 am-1 pm
Pick-up: July 30, 2- 4 pm and July 31, 10 am- 1 pm
$20 fee per each non-member entry; $10 fee per each RiverArts member entry and all student entries.
- Completed Entry Form (below). Limit: Two artworks per artist.
- Upon submission of the entry form, you will be redirected to a payment page. Entries will not be accepted until payment is received.
Digital image of artwork in jpeg format for each entry (4 MB maximum size allowed),submitted with Entry Form. Attached files should only be named with the titles of the artworks.
Requirements for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Photographic prints, digital and film, should be printed from the artists’ negative or digital file, ideally by or under the direction of the artist, and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $10 per piece of art if a member and $20 per piece if not a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the check out dates and times. RiverArts does not have adequate storage space to protect art.
- All work sent to RiverArts via USPS, UPS or another carrier must have a prepaid return label included.
- PLEASE NOTE IMAGES MUST BE IN JPEG FORM AND NO LARGER THAN 4 MB