Past Calls for Action
- Call: August 2017 Judged Photography
- Call for Artists: The Journey
- Call For Artists & Poets: Art of Stewardship Juried Exhibition
- Call for Artists for May Exhibition – “AT WORK”
- RIVERFEST 16 CALL FOR ARTISTS
- Holiday Show Call for Artists 2015
- RiverFest Plein Air – Call for Artists & Photographers
- September 2015 – Call for Artists
- RiverFest Call for Artists
- Call for Artists – June Exhibition
- Call for Artists – May Exhibitions
- Call for Artists – March Exhibitions
- Call for Artists – Member's Best Show
- Call for Artists-February Exhibitions
- Call for Artists: Chestertown Alley Project
- Call for Artists – Art of Stewardship
- Call for Artists: War of 1812 and Battle of Caulk’s Field Plein Air Two-Day Event
- 2015 Call for Artists
- Call for Artists
- Call for Artists
- June Call for Artists: “A Moment in Time,” the 10th Annual Judged Photography Show
- Calls for Upcoming Shows
Current Calls for Artists
Call: August 2017 Judged Photography
All artists are invited to submit their photographic work to the Chestertown RiverArts’ Annual Judged Photography Show, “The Soul of Photography,” on exhibit in the Main Gallery for the month of August. You are challenged to transform the inanimate image that the camera dutifully records into a work of art that expresses the passion of the mind’s eye.
This is an open-themed call for entry. All capture types, subject matter and photographic processes are eligible to submit. In this juried and judged show, awards will include a modest monetary prize awarded for “Best in Show,” and non-monetary Merit Awards in a variety of categories which may include Nature and Wildlife, Scenic, Street Life, Human Subjects and Portraiture, Abstracts, Still life, Black and White, and Creative Digital Enhancement. This is a highly popular annual show with historically wide-ranging participation from regional photographers.
The curator for this year’s juried exhibit is Steven Kane, a resident of Chestertown, and an enthusiast photographer who in his recent retirement has become especially fond of doing close-up flower photography. He is an award winning photographer who has exhibited in the Chestertown RiverArts Gallery and is currently the Director of the RiverArts Photo Club. Most recently he has taught a course for Washington College Academy of Lifelong Learning entitled Photography As Art: Learn To Create Your Own Masterpiece.
Juror Jeff Weber retired to Chestertown with his wife, after several vacation visits to the Chesapeake Bay area. While his professional career was in investment banking and IT, his passion for photography has spanned almost five decades, branching recently into videography. The goals of his photography/videography remain the same – render visuals which cause viewers to linger more than a few seconds. His work has appeared in several media publications. He also serves on the Garfield’s Finance Committee, the RiverArts Board, and as Treasurer to the Chestertown Main Street organization.
This exhibit’s judge, Jay Fleming, discovered his passion for photography upon inheriting his father, former National Geographic photographer, Kevin Fleming’s film Nikon n90s at the young age of 14. Jay immediately developed an affinity to looking at life through the lens of his camera and what ensued was an exciting photographic journey that would eventually lead him to his career as a professional photographer. His photographs have appeared in National Fisherman, Save the Bay, National Geographic News, and Angler’s Journal .
Exhibition Dates: August 4 – 27, 2017
Opening Reception: Friday, August 4,2017, 5 – 8 pm
Online Submission Deadline: July 3, 2017
Artist Acceptance Notification: July 7, 2017
Drop-off: July 30, 1 – 3 pm and July 31, 10 am – 1 pm
Pick-up: August 27, 1-3 pm and August 28, 10 am- 1 pm
$20 fee per each non-member entry; $10 fee per each RiverArts member entry and all student entries.
Limit: Two artworks per artist.
- Upon submission of the entry form, you will be redirected to a payment page. Entries will not be accepted until payment is received.
- Digital image of artwork in jpeg format for each entry (4 MB maximum size allowed),submitted with Entry Form. Attached files should only be named with the titles of the artworks.
Requirements for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Photographic prints, digital and film, should be printed from the artists’ negative or digital file, ideally by or under the direction of the artist, and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $10 per piece of art if a member and $20 per piece if not a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the check out dates and times. RiverArts does not have storage space adequate to protect art.
THE REGISTRATION FOR THIS SHOW IS NOW CLOSED