Two of the longest enduring artistic genres, still life and portraiture, have traditionally represented the literal, realistic likeness of either inanimate objects or the human personality. In “Variations on a Theme,” however, we ask artists to strive for something more expansive, interpretive, creative, and/or symbolic. We encourage you to engage and challenge the viewer by giving new ways of looking at the ordinary, breaking the “rules” of the genre, or enhancing understanding of what still life or portraiture might be. In short, make it new.
Curator: Anne Highfield-Clark is an elementary school teacher. She fuels her creative spirit by exploring the process of capturing and editing photos with her iPhone, and teaches an iPhoneography class at RiverArts. Her images have been featured on various mobile photography websites such as The App Whisperer, iPhoneography Central, and Mobiography. Her work has also won awards internationally at the Mobile Photo Awards, Blue Mountain Foundation for the Arts Center in Collingwood, Ontario, as well as locally at RiverArts in Chestertown and at Annmarie Sculpture Gardens in Dowell, MD.
Exhibition Dates: Jan 30 – Feb 24, 2019
Opening Reception: Friday, February 1, 5 – 8pm
Gallery Talk: February 7, 5:30 – 7 pm
Drop-off: Sunday, January 27, 2 -4 pm
Monday, January 28, 10 am-1 pm
Pick-up: Sunday, February 24, 2 – 4 pm
Monday, February 25, 10 am – 1 pm
Although online submission is not required, we highly encourage artists to pre-register using the online registration form below and payment.
- Upon submission of the entry form, (see below) you will be redirected to a payment page. Entries will not be accepted until payment is received.
Digital image of artwork should be in jpeg format for each entry (2 MB maximum size allowed), submitted with Entry Form.
Requirements for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Photographic prints, digital and film, should be printed from the artists’ negative or digital file, ideally by or under the direction of the artist, and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $10 per piece of art if a member and $20 per piece if not a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the checkout dates and times. RiverArts does not have adequate storage space to protect art.
- All work sent to RiverArts via USPS, UPS or another carrier must have a prepaid return label included.
PLEASE NOTE THAT IT WILL TAKE UP TO A MINUTE FOR YOU TO BE REDIRECTED TO THE PAYMENT PAGE. DO NOT HIT SUBMIT TWICE.
UNFORTUNATELY, THIS FORM WILL NOT WORK WITH IPADS OR MOBILE DEVICES. PLEASE USE A LAPTOP OR DESKTOP COMPUTER.
– NO COMPRESSED PHOTO SUBMISSIONS – If you receive a message that the page is not working, with all of the required fields are not complete OR your picture files are too large. To resize your images, visit this website and make the images smaller by 50% and resubmit.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
or call 410 778 6300