Storytelling can be a means of education, cultural preservation, a moral compass or just entertainment. Following in the paths of Norman Rockwell, Maxfield
Parrish, N. C. Wyeth, Alphonse Mucha et al., we invite artists to tell a visual story- something that ignites the viewer’s imagination to form a narrative around the ” moment ” captured by the artist; for example, instead of a plain beach scene, a close up on a note in a bottle on a beach or a boat washed up on shore with footprints walking away. In other words something has happened, is happening or will happen. The image is not static.
Just as visual storytelling has been presented In many forms, such as stained glass, clay figurines, sculpture, pottery, photos, paintings, drawings even panels of a comic book, the show is open to all media. Tell us a story any way you like!
Ronn Akins, Curator
Exhibition Dates: May 1 – June 2, 2019
Opening Reception: Friday, May 3, 5-8 pm
Gallery Talk, May 9, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Drop-off: Sunday, April 28 , 3 – 5 p.m.
Monday, April 29 25, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Pick-up: Sunday, June 2, 2-4 p.m.
Monday, June 3 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
A graduate of Rowan University, and the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Ronn has been a working artist since the age of 17. Though painting in oils is his first love, he finds a diversity of work exciting. It allows him to expand and enhance his creative skills, and keeps his work fresh and innovative. His work has included: fashion illustration (layout and finished art); designing and rendering logos and brochures; designing and painting sets and floats, costumes and makeup for various schools, theatre groups, dance companies, and the Philadelphia Mummers; as well as murals, faux finishing and decorative painting. He also renders illustrations for his wife’s company, Montessori Images.
Although online submission is not required, we highly encourage artists to pre-register using the online registration form below and online payment. This streamlines the drop off for you, as we have all of your information, plus we have your digital image(s) that we may use to promote the show once it opens.
- Upon submission of the entry form, (see below) you will be redirected to a payment page. Entries will not be accepted until payment is received.
- Artists may submit up to TWO entries.
Digital image of artwork should be in jpeg format for each entry (2 MB maximum size allowed), submitted with Entry Form.
Requirements for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Photographic prints, digital and film, should be printed from the artists’ negative or digital file, ideally by or under the direction of the artist, and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $10 per piece of art if a member and $20 per piece if not a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the checkout dates and times. RiverArts does not have adequate storage space to protect art.
- All work sent to RiverArts via USPS, UPS or another carrier must have a prepaid return label included.
PLEASE NOTE THAT IT WILL TAKE UP TO A MINUTE FOR YOU TO BE REDIRECTED TO THE PAYMENT PAGE. DO NOT HIT SUBMIT TWICE.
UNFORTUNATELY, THIS FORM WILL NOT WORK WITH IPADS OR MOBILE DEVICES. PLEASE USE A LAPTOP OR DESKTOP COMPUTER.
– NO COMPRESSED PHOTO SUBMISSIONS – If your images are too large, you will not receive a submission receipt or be redirected to the payment page. If you would like assistance in resizing your images, please send the image in an email to email@example.com
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
or call 410 778 6300