February 2018 Black & White Call to Artists
Image used: Two Women – Kevin Harris
Curators: Melinda Carl & Patricia Gilkison
Open to all media
For centuries, artists have worked in black and white, choosing to express their ideas in line and tone. The absence of applied color challenges the artist and viewer alike to discover the power and beauty of an image reduced to its essential black and white values.
River Arts Gallery invites artists to submit original works in black and white – and shades in between – that explore the use of line and tone in the absence of color. Works in all media are welcome, including traditional and abstract drawings, on paper or canvas, sculptural, or three-dimensional pieces.
Exhibition Dates: February 2 – February 25, 2018
Opening Reception: Friday, February 2 5-8pm
Online Submission Deadline: January 27, 2018
Drop-off: Sunday, January 28, 2pm-4pm and Monday, January 29, 10am-1pm
Pick-up: Sunday, February 25 2-4pm and Monday, February 26, 10am-1pm
Melinda Carl, Curator
Melinda began painting on her own as a teenager in Pennsylvania and now paints in her studio in the
Barn at Cannon Street Studios in Chestertown. She retired as Chief of Public Affairs for Delaware’s
Natural Resources and Environmental Control after a career in journalism, freelance writing and public
information. Her love of the waterways that began during family outings is reflected in her paintings
which focus on the land and seascape of the Eastern Shore and seas beyond. She exhibits widely
throughout the area and is a member of Chestertown RiverArts, the Academy Museum of Art, Biggs
Museum of American Art, and Board member of the Mainstay in Rock Hall.
Patricia Gilkison, Curator
Patricia recently retired from a career in the arts spanning 30 years. She started as an Assistant Curator at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, then went on to spend 25 years at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. As Associate Manager of Special Exhibitions and Gallery Installations at The Met, she coordinated the planning, budgets, installation, and financial management for over 60 exhibitions every year. As a visitor to Chestertown she was attracted to the vibrant arts community and decided to relocate here. She looks forward to continuing her work with the artists and organizations supporting the arts on the Eastern Shore.
$20 fee per each non-member entry; $10 fee per each RiverArts member entry and all student entries.
Although online submission is not required for this show, we highly encourage artists to pre-register. It is required for all juried shows, and in the future, we will be moving to electronic submission for all exhibits.
- Completed Entry Form (below). Limit: Two artworks per artist.
- Upon submission of the entry form, you will be redirected to a payment page. Entries will not be accepted until payment is received.
Digital image of artwork should be in jpeg format for each entry (4 MB maximum size allowed), submitted with Entry Form.
Requirements for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Photographic prints, digital and film, should be printed from the artists’ negative or digital file, ideally by or under the direction of the artist, and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $10 per piece of art if a member and $20 per piece if not a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the checkout dates and times. RiverArts does not have adequate storage space to protect art.
- All work sent to RiverArts via USPS, UPS or another carrier must have a prepaid return label included.
- PLEASE NOTE IMAGES MUST BE IN JPEG FORM AND NO LARGER THAN 4 MB