Connections: Work in a Series
Warhol’s cans, O’Keefe’s pelvis bones, Monet’s haystacks all announce the artists’ intrigue with their subjects through series. It has been said that creating a series allows each individual piece to stand on its own while simultaneously relating to the rest of the others in some manner. Working in this way, in distinct purposeful directions, is not about repetition but rather about being able to explore issues, themes, compositions, form, or concepts in progressively deeper and relational ways.
RiverArts announces their September Exhibition, “Connections: Work in a Series” on these very ideas. Co-Curators Rob Glebe and Marianne Sade invite artists of all media, with the exception of photography, to register on line.
Artists are encouraged to apply early and to attend a kick-off panel discussion, with a question and answer session, on Thursday, June 20, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. at the RiverArts ArtsAlive! Center, 200 High Street. The panel discussion will feature moderator Mary Pritchard, and artists Cindy Fulton, Rob Glebe, Steve Rogers, and Marianne Sade, who will share their processes. The general public is welcome and light refreshments will be available.
Artists may submit 3 to 5 pieces in your series, with a maximum width per piece of 24”. The curators would also like each artist to include a short statement (300 word limit) on, “What makes this a series.” Please note that the exhibition curators have the right to refuse works due to possible gallery space limitations. This show is a little different because of the potential scale of some work. If working larger scale please contact the gallery so curators may plan the space. Entry fees are: $7 per piece for RiverArts members and $14 for non-members.
Panel Discussion: Thursday, June 20, 5:30 – 6:30 pm
Exhibition Dates: September 4 – 29, 2019
Opening Reception: Friday, September 6, 5-8 pm
Gallery Talk: Thursday, September 12, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Drop-off: Sunday, September 1, 2 – 4
Monday, September 2, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Pick-up: Sunday, September 29, 2-4 p.m.
Monday, September 30, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Upon submission of the entry form, (see below) you will be redirected to a payment page. Entries will not be accepted until payment is received.
- Artists may submit THREE to FIVE ENTRIES.
No entry larger than 24 inches wide
Digital image of artwork should be in jpeg format for each entry (3 MB maximum size allowed), submitted with Entry Form.
Requirements for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine
art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $7 per piece of art if a member and $14 per piece if not a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the checkout dates and times. RiverArts does not have adequate storage space to protect art.
- All work sent to RiverArts via USPS, UPS or another carrier must have a prepaid return label included.
PLEASE NOTE: NEW IMAGE UPLOAD PROCEDURE
ALL IMAGES WILL NOW BE UPLOADED TO DROPBOX. MAX SIZE 3MB
YOU MUST INCLUDE TITLE AND NAME WITH YOUR IMAGE, IF THE IMAGE SAYS DSC06142019 WE WILL HAVE NO IDEA WHOSE ARTWORK IT IS!
CLICK HERE TO ADD YOUR IMAGES TO THE DROPBOX FOLDER.
YOU WILL STILL NEED TO FILL OUT THE REGISTRATION FORM BELOW.
THERE WILL ALSO BE A LINK TO DROPBOX ON THE PAYMENT PAGE AND IN YOUR REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION EMAIL
UNFORTUNATELY, THIS FORM WILL NOT WORK WITH IPADS OR MOBILE DEVICES. PLEASE USE A LAPTOP OR DESKTOP COMPUTER.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
or call 410 778 6300