The month of March traditionally ushers in the Spring season, a period of renewal and rebirth. It is the season when our senses delight in the sounds of migrating song birds returning to the Eastern Shore. Warming temperatures signal budding foliage to emerge from the earth, providing nest material and nourishment for the birds. Colorful blossoms will later be pollinated by buzzing bees. It is a magical time, when the earth seems to come to life again. RiverArts will celebrate this delightful season throughout the month of March with a unique exhibit celebrating birds, bees and their houses.
We invite you to exhibit your creative works that exemplify the birds, bees and their houses. Two and three-dimensional art, functional or non-functional bird houses, wild and whimsical, mixed media, will all be welcomed.
We would love to exhibit works made from, but not limited to, wood, metal, natural materials, glass, tile, clay or fiber. Combinations of materials are encouraged. Two dimensional paintings are also welcomed. This show will not include photography or water fowl, however.
The Birds and Bees, and Their Houses will be curated by RiverArts members Rob Glebe, accomplished Chestertown metal artist, and Laura Ventura, active potter at the RiverArts Clay Studio.
Exhibition Dates: March 1 – 31
Opening Reception: March 2, 5 – 8 pm
Curator & Artists’ Talk: March 8, 5:30 – 7 pm
Online Submission Deadline: February 23
Drop Off: Sunday, February 25, 2- 4 pm and Monday, February 26, 10 am – 1 pm
Pick Up: Sunday, April 1, 2 – 4 pm and Monday, April 2, 10 am – 1 pm
Fees: Members: $10 fee per submission item. Non Members: $20 fee per submission.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.
- Submission Guidelines
Requirements for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Photographic prints, digital and film, should be printed from the artists’ negative or digital file, ideally by or under the direction of the artist, and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $10 per piece of art if a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the checkout dates and times. RiverArts does not have adequate storage space to protect art.
- All work sent to RiverArts via USPS, UPS or another carrier must have a prepaid return label included.
- PLEASE NOTE IMAGES MUST BE IN JPEG FORM AND NO LARGER THAN 4 MB
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
or call 410 778 6300