Call for Artists: Abstract and Ceramics
Representing the hard and soft-scape of what is artistically possible, the placement together of abstract painting and art ceramics opens the realm of possibilities for each. Abstract art can be the ultimate representation of the soul, and art ceramics can be likewise. Neither need be utilitarian, yet both can be. This invitation is to you as artists to open your minds, open your souls, and allow color and form to be inspiration for works that are playful, gut-wrenching, or simply beautiful. Please present one or two works that will hang on the wall or go on a pedestal. Ideally, we will showcase paintings against the ceramics (and vice versa!) but multi-media abstract pieces are welcome as well, as well as art photography that is clearly abstract.
Open to All Media – All Ceramic forms welcome. Ceramics do not need to be in abstract form.
Curators: Ronn Akins and Barbara Parker
Exhibition Dates: September 5 – 30, 2018
Opening Reception: Friday, September 7, 5-8 p.m
Curator & Artists Talk: Thursday, September 13, 5:30 – 7 pm.
Drop-off: Sunday, September 2, 2 – 4 pm
Monday, September 3, 10am -1pm
Pick-up: Sunday, September 30, 2 – 4 pm
Monday, October 1, 10 am – 1 pm
Barbara Parker lives and works just outside of Chestertown, on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. She takes her inspiration from the beautiful landscape that surrounds her studio, as well as early influences from Asian artistic styles.
Ronn Akins has always been fascinated with the creative process – aesthetically manipulating instruments and symbols to create a visual reality for myself and the viewer. Though oils are hisfirst love, he has worked in acrylics, pastels, pencil, colored pencil, pen and ink, water color and some sculpture. Recently, he has been exploring jewelry making using silver and bronze precious metal clay. He has worked as an artist since the age of 17. My work has included: fashion illustration (layout and finished art); designing and rendering logos and brochures; designing and painting sets and floats, costumes and makeup for various schools, theatre groups, dance companies and the Philadelphia Mummers; murals, faux finishing and decorative painting. He also renders illustrations for learning materials for my wife’s company – Montessori Images.
“I find the diversity of work exciting. It allows me to expand and enhance my creative skills, and keeps me from becoming stagnant and repetitive.”
SUBMISSION IS NOW CLOSED FOR THIS SHOW
Although online submission is not required, we highly encourage artists to pre-register using the online registration form below and payment.
- Upon submission of the entry form, (see below) you will be redirected to a payment page. Entries will not be accepted until payment is received.
Digital image of artwork should be in jpeg format for each entry (2 MB maximum size allowed), submitted with Entry Form.
Requirements for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Photographic prints, digital and film, should be printed from the artists’ negative or digital file, ideally by or under the direction of the artist, and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $10 per piece of art if a member and $20 per piece if not a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the checkout dates and times. RiverArts does not have adequate storage space to protect art.
- All work sent to RiverArts via USPS, UPS or another carrier must have a prepaid return label included.
PLEASE NOTE THAT IT WILL TAKE UP TO A MINUTE FOR YOU TO BE REDIRECTED TO THE PAYMENT PAGE. DO NOT HIT SUBMIT TWICE.
UNFORTUNATELY, THIS FORM WILL NOT WORK WITH IPADS OR MOBILE DEVICES. PLEASE USE A LAPTOP OR DESKTOP COMPUTER.
– NO COMPRESSED PHOTO SUBMISSIONS – If you receive a message that the page is not working, with all of the required fields are not complete OR your picture files are too large. To resize your images, visit this website and make the images smaller by 50% and resubmit.
Please email email@example.com with any questions
or call 410 778 6300